Thursday, November 13, 2008

Aren’t I Too Old to Have My Mouth Washed Out with Soap?

Today, I was driving through town and talking to my mother on my cell phone. She recently gave me a headset, so I’ve been using it for in-the-car-driving.


Then, out of nowhere, a guy runs into the street, right in front of me! I immediately slammed on my brakes. He saw me, but it was too late. I hit him.


Because I was going the speed limit, it wasn’t a hard hit. He actually just looked at me, mouthed “I’m sorry,” waved his hand, and ran into the Bellevue Cigarette Outlet.


I couldn’t even believe it. I mean, thank God he was okay, but how dare he run into the middle of the street without looking first? What kind of idiot does that?


But there’s something else that happened when I hit him.


I swore while I was on the phone with my mother.


I said “shit.” I think I might have also said “hell,” but I can’t remember. My mom responded with, “What the heck is wrong?!?” I yelled back, “I just hit someone!”


She then said, “Well, I’m going to let you go because you’re talking trash.”


I couldn’t believe she said that to me, but given that I just hit someone with my car, I had more important things on my mind. I hung up the phone and pulled over to regain my composure.

When I got home, I received a text from her. This is what it said:


“I know you were upset and all, but you cursed. I can’t believe it. That’s the first time I ever heard you say a curse word. I don’t know what to say.”


It’s always a horrible feeling to know you’ve upset your mom or dad. But honestly, I’m not sure I should feel so guilty. As a child, I never caused my parents any trouble. I always got straight A’s, hung out with my friends, abstained from drugs and sex, and earned a college degree. I have become a remarkable twenty-three year old woman who works hard for her money and volunteers her free time for others. Given my clean record, I think I deserve the right to say a curse word in the midst of a minor automobile accident.


I’m just hoping that my mom will realize soon that I am now an adult. There’s really no need to freak out each time I say or do something she doesn’t agree with. It’s silly to think that something so small could upset her so much. But I’m sure hearing your kid say “shit” for the first time can be pretty shocking. I’ll keep this experience in mind when I have children.

10 comments:

Malinda said...

It's probably more shocking since she's gone so long without hearing you curse. Parents are...interesting.

Anonymous said...

Best post yet, no doubt. I love your parents.

Amanda Nicole said...

My mom swears more in one week than I do in a month. I think she thinks I'm a goody-goody.

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about that. glad that the man was safe. yes, sometimes, parents can be so interesting, but hopefully, one day she would understand the situation you were in at that instant.

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe you didn't say more than shit! I think I would have uttered every curse word I ever learned if I actually hit someone! I nearly hit a kid on a bike who rode out of nowhere several years ago. Thankfully I had good brakes. The boy and I looked at each other and we both had the deer in headlights look. He rode off and I was shaking for about 20 minutes. And I didn't acutally hit him! I can only imagine how freaked you were! I would hope your mom would a)forgive your lack of composure and b)get over it, you're an adult.

~Kelly
http://30somethingandsearching.today.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh my GOSH! I swear our moms should go out to tea one of these days.

Great post and I'm SO glad he was okay! And that you were okay!

ROFL I swear our moms are way too much alike...

;)

Suzanne said...

I'm 45 and my mom still yells at me for swearing.
My kids learned all the swear words in the car, it's where swearing is always allowed.

Petra a.k.a The Wise (*Young*) Mommy said...

Haha, that's so funny because my mom reads MY blog and you've seen the words (and topics) I use over there. I can't believe she hasn't washed my mouth out with soap yet!

sexy.past.seeks.stable.future said...

I remember when I was like 6 years old and my mom said "shit" in front of the entire family and we were all like "ooooohhhhh" and she happened to be a weird type of crazy that day and was like "shut up! shit, shit, shit! no one cares, do they? shit isn't even a real swear word! aww shit.." and we were all laughing hysterically by the end of her rant... ever since then the word shit has been fair game in my house.

oh, and when I was a teenager I frequently told my parents to f*ck off..so you should tell your mom to count her lucky stars :)

ChristineMince said...

haha, i have also repeatedly to tell my mom to f off as a teenager and sometimes when i'm pmsing.