Saturday, November 8, 2008

When it comes, I want to wail: MAIL!

When I walked into my kitchen today, I quickly noticed a huge pile of mail on the counter. I looked up to the top of the refrigerator and saw another pile of mail that I had tried to hide earlier in the week.


“Where is all this mail coming from?” I thought, annoyed.


Living with my parents, I never had to pay much attention to the mail; typically my mother would sort it all and deliver it to its rightful owner. I vaguely remember her looking through advertisements and eventually throwing the useless things away. But it never sunk in how quickly junk mail can pile up in just a matter of weeks.


Then I moved out and the junk started getting addressed to me.


But unless I’m expecting something in the mail, I really have no reason to pay close attention to the mail. Other than my Netflix movies, nothing important ever really comes. This is 2008. People don’t send letters…we send texts. We pay our bills online…we don’t write and mail checks.


So now, instead of hiding the mail on the top of the refrigerator, I’ve started hiding it in a bag in the closet. It will stay there until I can figure out some sort of filing system for it all. I’d hate to throw away a coupon that could really save me some money in the future. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a suggestion. It is "Be my Netflix friend, or our real-life friendship is over."

And throw the mail away.
Or recycle it.

Unknown said...

Why not stop it coming? See my post at http://jakill-jeansmusings.blogspot.com/2008/10/stopping-junk-mail-and-cold-calls.html

Malinda said...

well, if you really want to look for coupons you could use , set aside a time each week to sit down with the all that junk mail and go through them. You can do while you're watching TV. Don't just hide it in the closet...it'll be overflowing before you know it ;)

Anonymous said...

i have a suggestion....bring back the joy of snail mail!!!!!!!!!!!!
write more letters.
so fun.

also, coupons are a lie.

sexy.past.seeks.stable.future said...

throw it all away. make sure to rip it in half..a paranoid friend of mine made sure i got in that habit because I guess people steal your identity otherwise..but seriously, just throw it away. saving 50 cents on mac n cheese is not worth the effort..