Saturday, September 27, 2008

Ehhh…What’s up Doc?

This past month I set the goal of visiting the doctor, the girl doctor, the dentist, and the eye doctor. Like most normal people, I hate going to the doctor, but I knew that it was about time to get checked out. My shoulder had been bothering me for awhile and I hadn’t been to the dentist for about a year.


I’ve been setting my own appointments for the doctor and dentist for many, many years now. But up until this year, my mother has been the policy holder on my health insurance. When I received my insurance cards in the mail I took a quick look and stuffed them into my wallet.


But when I handed my insurance card over to the receptionist for the first time, it sunk in. I was embarking on another rite of passage! Not only was I being a responsible adult by going to the doctor in the first place, but I was a responsible adult with her own health insurance.


I feel extremely blessed to have health insurance. I have taken it for granted as a young adult. It’s a shame that in this day and age there are people in our country who are unable to insure themselves or their families. I am thankful that through blessings beyond belief I am able to rest assured knowing that these needs are met in my life.


What about you guys? What was it like to go to the doctor with your own insurance card for the first time? Are you still on the hunt for health insurance? It’s a scary thing, graduating from college and then realizing that you have little time left to be insured.


Realizing all the things that you’ve taken for granted as a kid is just another part of growing up. That, and going to the girl doctor. Ugh.

3 comments:

Malinda said...

My insurance under my dad's policy expires in November. I've been stressing over figuring out health insurance. I can get a pretty cheap student plan with BYU but it bothers me to think that I can't just "wait till I visit home" to go to the doctor I know; I have to be seen at BYU's health facilities. I hate changing doctors. I find it to be a big hassle. Nevertheless, the new self-paid insurance plan leads to new, uncharted territories on Malinda's map.

Cindy said...

My dentist told me to get my wisdom teeth out either soon while I'm still on my parents' insurance or when I get a job and have my own...

jamiedonne said...

WHAT UP HEALTH INSURANCEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

well, as you know this was quite the official marker for me that i am an adult. maybe we can vote for change in november and hope and pray for healthcare for everyone! yay!

jamie