Sunday, September 14, 2008

The rarest things make me think sometimes...

In the middle of the Steelers vs. Browns game, an atrocity occurred.

The power went out!

Now, I wouldn't consider myself terrified of the dark, but sitting in a dark room does give you time to think. And as I looked out the window and saw the wind carry tree branches and other debris with it, my mind started to wander a bit. And the more it wandered, the more freaked out I got.

Then I realized, the majority of the blackouts I've endured in my life have been with my parents. Other than one in college and another at my boyfriend's house, this was the first time I've been in the dark without them. I could feel my bottom lip curl into a pout.

So I called my mother. I try to seize any chance I can to call her. I daily keep her and my father in the loop of my life because even though I no longer live under their roof, I know they have many more words of wisdom to share with me.

Our ten minute conversation made me feel so much better. And it feels good to know that I'm allowed ease myself into this thing called womanhood. Not even the power coming back on (during a Steelers vs. Browns game, mind you) could beat that feeling.

2 comments:

Malinda said...

thank goodness for being able to ease into "womanhood." this whole being an adult thing is hard.

speaking of the steelers. i really wish i could be in PA for the game this sunday.

Unknown said...

Yo lady!
You're slacking! You haven't posted for a week. Not that I've been checking every day or anything...