Monday, September 8, 2008

I like parties, yes I do. I like parties, how about you?

I like parties. Who doesn’t? Very few people want to pass up free food, free alcohol, and good conversation. I always knew that the second I moved out of my parents’ house, I would take any opportunity I could to have as many friends over as possible. I love being the hostess. Nothing makes me happier than cleaning my apartment, shopping for yummy junk food, and responding to my guests’ every beck and call.


So when I saw an advertisement for the MTV Video Music Awards, I thought that’d be as good of a reason as any to host a party. I sent out a mass Facebook message and prepared myself for a night of fun. With each reference to Britney Spears’ VMA comeback, I grew more and more excited. “This is going to be a blast,” I thought.


At around 8 o’clock, guests started piling in.


We gabbed as we watched the stars walk down the red carpet. We squealed when Britney appeared on the screen. We eagerly ate all but two slices of the pizza we ordered.


But by the time 10 o’clock rolled around, I saw the yawns. I couldn’t help but yawn myself. I knew these weren’t yawns of boredom. They were simply yawns of exhaustion and preparation for another work week. If I had a say in inner-workings of MTV production, I probably would’ve suggested for the VMA’s to be aired any night but Sunday night. I mean, I understand the logic of getting everyone riled up the night before another work week, in hopes of gossip-filled talks by the water cooler. But it certainly was not the ideal situation for my party.


Of course I am not upset with my guests, because as I said, I was just as exhausted as they were, if not more. But I couldn’t help but wonder when my body started to get used to this cycle. I’ve even been finding it difficult to sleep in on the weekend—formerly one of my favorite things about the weekend. And with every Saturday that I wake up at 8:30AM, despite every attempt to sleep until noon, it sinks in more and more…


I’m growing up. I can’t have silly conversations until midnight and not be falling asleep at my desk the next day. Eighty percent of my weekend plans involve all the errands I couldn’t fit in during the week.


And I dread Sunday evening more and more each week.


So, maybe that’s the reason why I tried to host a party on a Sunday night; to liven it up a bit and avoid the inevitable. But from now on, I think I’m going to designate Friday and Saturday nights as the appropriate nights to be a party animal. Yeah, God was definitely onto something when He rested on the seventh day.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, my goodness! so true. I'm getting so frustrated that I can't sleep past 8 without waking up, and not past 9 even if I try. And yep- every spare second off work is devoted to running errands/making phone calls to keep my life going smoothly(ish).

Stephanie said...

I'm thinking they were probably yawning not only out of exhaustion, but out of disappointment and boredom. As a lover of pop culture and music, I demanded much of the VMA's and was so disappointed by MTV's delivery. Horrid!

P.S. Hosting parties is awesome! I love it as well. I threw myself a 25th bday party last May with a Transformers theme! HAH

Anonymous said...

i couldn't agree more! sunday nights are the worst - especially when im visiting my boyfriend (he lives an hour away). around 10/10:30 when i'm getting ready to leave, i find myself exhausted and not at all looking to the hour drive home. and sleeping in is only possible for me if i go to bed at like, 2am! oh, growing up...it's kinda lame sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Haha, as one of your yawning guests Sunday night, I was thinking the same thing. When did 10:00pm mean the start of the end of the night? I used to be just starting then. Brian was over last night, and we were talking about going out for a drink. But we ended up not because it was 10:30 and I was "exhausted." Lol.

rachel smith (i'm posting with my wordpress name, fyi)